An approachable and experienced property/chancery counsel, combining a strong technical understanding of the law with an ability to protect and pursue the real interests of the client. Bruce has broad experience, including practising for 5 years in Lincoln’s Inn and being chief legal adviser at the Country Land & Business Association for 7 years.
Areas of Practice
- Registered and unregistered land
- Boundary disputes, adverse possession, easements and restrictive covenants
- Options, pre-emptions rights and lock-out agreements
- Water and riparian rights
- Sporting rights
Landlord and tenant
- Commercial tenancies including business tenancy renewal
- Residential tenancies including possession actions and ASB claims.
- Common law rights, including break-clauses and forfeiture.
- Agricultural holdings and farm business tenancies
- Issues arising out of diversification
- Tied cottages and assured agricultural occupancy
- Single farm payment and environmental schemes
- Partnership and contract farming
- Rent reviews and valuation of agricultural land for capital tax purposes.
Trusts and Equity
- Drafting and administration of trusts
- Estoppel and constructive trusts
- Charities and unincorporated organisations
- Fiduciary duties
Bruce acts for a wide range of clients, including private individuals, businesses, local authorities, surveyors and public access clients, attracting work both regionally and nationally.
He appears in a variety of forums, including courts, property tribunal, arbitrations and public inquiries, and regularly acts in mediations.
Co-author of "Essential Law for Landowners and Farmers" (Blackwells).
Editor to Forestry, Fences & Boundaries, Animals Contracts and Sporting Rights titles in the Encyclopaedia of Forms and Precedents
What others say:
"Advises on complex issues with great clarity": The Legal 500, 2015
“Bruce Monnington is noted for his particular expertise in agricultural tenancies”: Legal 500, 2014
Rated in Band 1 for Agriculture and Rural Affairs (South East): Chambers & Partners, 2014
Silkstone v Tatnall  EWHC 1627 (Ch);  39 E.G. 110: withdrawal from proceedings before the Adjudicator
Pease v McMillan  EWCA Civ 258: transfer of entitlements in the contract for sale of land
Wilson v Specter Partnership  EWHC 133 (Ch);  6 Costs L.R. 802;  B.P.I.R. 649: contentious business agreements under s.59 of the Solicitors Act 1974
Gainsborough-Field v Hyde  EWHC 2229: meaning of "agriculture" for the purposes of an express right of way