Katharine Ferguson has specialised in family law for many years. She deals with financial claims, private law disputes involving children and domestic violence.
Areas of practice
- Financial orders on divorce: ranging from cases in which there are businesses, overseas property, pensions or other significant assets to those in which family finances are more limited. Recent cases have involved allegations that assets have been concealed or dissipated, arguments about the significance of pre-marital assets and concerns about the capacity of vulnerable elderly clients.
- Financial claims by cohabitants under TOLATA 1996 and Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989
- Child arrangements orders (formerly residence and contact): including cases in which there are issues about drug and alcohol abuse, domestic violence, implacable hostility and mental heath.
- Specific issue orders in respect of education: including home education.
- Permission to remove a child from the jurisdiction to live abroad or for holidays.
In the majority of cases, Katharine works with solicitors in the traditional way. She also welcomes instructions direct from members of the public.
Publications & Seminars
Katharine has conducted seminars for solicitors on financial remedies. She has also delivered training to the staff of a local charity, which supports young parents.
What others say
"Personable with clients and assertive in court": Legal 500 2017
"Experienced in divorce, TOLATA and children matters": Legal 500 2016
"Very tenacious and meticulous": Legal 500 2015
"An astute strategist, clear in identifying strengths and weaknesses, an adept advocate, dealing sensitively with difficult protagonists and thorough: she gets to grips with documentation and the law... My clients are in good hands if they are in her hands": Local solicitor
"Thoroughly professional, well prepared, sharp brain and a lovely person to boot": Client
"We were so grateful for your help and advice and the calm manner in which it was provided. We really feel fortunate to have been in your hands": Client